Hello March! I'm so glad you are here. I'm already anticipating your pretty flowers, chirping birds and clear blue skies. Spring always reminds me of "new things" whether it be new growth in our surroundings or a fresh start with a good Spring Cleaning. I love the feeling of the warm spring sun and cool breeze and it always makes me feel like getting down to it and cleaning out my home and giving a good 'makeover.' I thought it would be so fun to share some great projects to give your home a "New Spring Makeover." So let's all party and have a little Spring Fling, if you will, and get crafty and creative. First project, Fringe Garland. Fringe is a popular trend this spring and I thought it would be great to bring that trend into the home with a sweet display of pretty fabrics.
Here's what you need:
-Various scrap fabrics, old sheets or worn out clothing that all have pretty prints, colors and patterns to fit your taste.
1. Cut your fabric using scissors or a rotary cutter and cutting mat into 3/4 to 1 inch strips. Make sure your strips are at least 18 inches long but no longer than 26 inches in length.
2. Use your rope and start tying your fabric strips (at the halfway mark of your strips) to the rope.
3. Pull your strips of fabric down tight bringing the knot to the under side of your rope.
4. I used a loose pattern by tying 2-4 strips of each color in a row and continued with my color choices and patterns all the way through. (see first photo).
5. Hang your garland and pull your strips down flat, flipping the strips to see the pretty prints, straightening it out to your liking.
** You can trim your fabric to make a pretty scallop or straight edge. I planned on doing that originally but fell in love with the pretty and natural lengths of the fabrics.
I personally only used fabric that was left over from other projects, was given to me or was fabric used from old clothing I no longer needed. I think it's great to recycle and not have to spend extra money to spruce up your home. It would be a great project to do for Project Restyle as well.
I hope you have enjoyed my first Spring Fling Project! What are your favorite colors for spring?
**This project was inspired by a beautiful display hanging from this pretty Anthropologie window display.
Also, if you want to participate and show off your own Spring Fling inspired projects feel free to grab the blog button on the left hand side of my blog and add it to your blog and either blog about your projects or add them to the SAC Handmade flickr group.
Be sure to check out the Oh So Lovely Blog where Sherry is showing awesome Spring Fling projects as well. Especially this cute way to organize your crafting supplies.
Happy Spring Fling!!